Inevitability you will catch many moon pies (they are usually the little ones) and they come in so many different flavors. What to do with these sweet delights…make a moon pie cake of course. I made a few—sorry forgot to take photos but surely will next time. The recipe I followed was from Jeff Foxworthy…yes Jeff Foxworthy.
- 8 regular sized moon pies in flavor of your choice*
- 16 ounce tub whipped topping
- Large box cook and serve vanilla pudding* Prepared according to package directions
- 4-5 bananas
- 1 bottle caramel syrup
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1/2-1 Cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Cut 28-35 minis into 3 strips (you can mix the flavors up or use one flavor type and use half for one side and half for the other side. Place the strips, cut side up, in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish or cake pan.
- Prepare pudding according to package directions (add 1 tsp of vanilla to pudding) and pour over moon pies while still warm. Cover dish with foil and refrigerate until cold.
- Top moon pies with a generous drizzling of caramel. Slice bananas on top of that. Spread whipped topping over all and top with another generous drizzling of caramel.
- Chop up remaining moon pie into bite sized pieces and scatter pieces on top. Cover again and refrigerate until ready to serve (can serve immediately but gets better after an hour in the fridge). And you can sprinkle with some chopped walnuts or pecans.